Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Incorporating Food and Science

I probably should've said so earlier, but I'm currently a uni student studying science.
This semester I decided to take a subject called Food Chemistry, where we study structures and properties that make up foods! Pretty exciting stuff, I hoped I would be able learn different things to incorporate it into my cooking.

One of the things we've learnt is called the Maillard Reaction.
When chefs talk about browning food, they are talking about the Maillard Reaction. It is the reaction that between proteins and sugars. This gives foods a nice flavour and colour, that you can associate with a tasty steak, toasted breads and sweet and savoury caramelised onions!



In comparison to caramelisation, which is the process that occurs purely between sugars. In caramelisation, large molecules of sugars are heated and broken down into smaller units. This leads to sweet treats like caramel or making spun sugar!

A good clip to watch is Heston Blumenthal's 'How to Cook Like Heston' Beef episode, where he talks about the Maillard Reaction and how he incoporates it into cooking.

I hope you enjoy learning about food like I am! :)

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment